View Single Post
Old
01-31-2011, 02:01 PM
Jackets Woodchuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
There are certainly exceptions but I really doubt that there's enough of a potential market to warrant a caravan of some sorts.

As the rise and fall of the Cavs has shown, winning is the ultimate marketing resource. If the Jackets start winning, people around Ohio will take notice. Till that day comes though, the Jackets aren't going to get any significant press in Ohio, no matter how much effort they put into it.

I don't see Cleveland ever becoming a "Jackets town" barring some sort of Pittsburgh/Washington esque transformation.
I will never understand this town's (Cleveland) infatuation with the Penguins and Red Wings. Yes, they're winning, but I could never look myself in the mirror if I followed one of those teams. There's no way I follow a team from the hometown of the Steelers or the Wolverines. The hometown of the Buckeyes and the Crew on the other hand, I'm completely OK with. Seriously, if Cleveland isn't in a sport, the first place I look for a team to follow is C-Bus.

By the way, I was a veeeeeerrrry casual Sabres fan before the Jackets were founded, but mostly followed the NHL in general.

On a related (and similarly disturbing note), the Plain Dealer recently suggested that Cleveland and Pittsburgh become a single metro area ("Cleveburgh" - I'm not making this up). Please tell me that the Dispatch isn't writing anything this inane re: "Columbianapolis" (Columbus/Indianapolis).