View Single Post
Old
10-09-2003, 08:33 PM
RoyIsALegend*

vCash: 500
I would have agreed with KL's assessment of Sean Burke's worth in the early summer. However, realizing that there not as many quality options as Burke(Hurme, Irbe, Johnson, um... who else that sucks?).

I would give up a 2nd round pick and a middle-tier prospect for Burke, personally. If the Coyotes want a player like Keith Ballard, Tomas Slovak or Jonas Johansson as the prospect, forget it.

Nothing more, and certainly nothing off the current roster unless we're getting an additional piece back, like a Mike Johnson. The thing about Johnson is that he has clicked with literally every line he's been on, and has helped his line-mates. There's an article in the current issue of The Hockey News even talking about how Phoenix will move Johnson around to continue putting chemistry together.

At 29 years old, coming off a 63 point season, I don't think it'd be out of the question for Johnson to get 25 goals and 40 assists playing with Peter Forsberg and Milan Hejduk, if my proposal came to fruition.

Alex Tanguay is a fine young player, and despite the overrated nonsense of him simply feeding off his linemates, the fact remains that there are very few 23 year old players that have achieved the success Tanguay has, both statistically speaking and hardware wise.

The only concern in my Tanguay for Burke and Johnson proposal is that the Avs are taking on around $5.3 M in the deal(Burke $4.5 M and Johnson $2.3 M with Tanguay at $1.5 M), but our owner Stan Kroenke has never shown hesitance in allowing Pierre Lacroix to improve our club.

Even if the Avalanche choose not to pursue Burke, I have faith in the fact that Kroenke allows Lacroix ample budget room to improve our team year-in and year-out at the deadline.