View Single Post
Old
02-01-2011, 07:49 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I'm pretty sure that Weber is not negotiating during the season, therefore he won't be signed till the summer.

Weber and his agent have met with Poile. They know what each other wants. Poile has kept in contact with Shea's agent even meeting with him twice more, however the actual negotiations won't begin until the season ends.

Hopefully it's a tight deadline in late June...
I don't blame Weber for not negotiating during the season. I do believe that Poile could have shown more urgency in re-signing Weber last July and through camp.

If Weber wanted to be here, if the contract demands were within reasonable negotiations, and if Poile wanted to sign him- then it should have been done.

The fact that it didn't is more than a little concerning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
We're 4th in the west with games in hand and we've said that we'll do whatever it takes to get the signing done, I don't think it's too big of a problem.
Regular season doesn't mean anything. For elite players, it usually revolves around the potential to win a Stanley Cup. Right now, Weber has no proof that Nashville can do that or will ever be able to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
No. I also think Weber would go back to the Preds and say, I just got offered this, make it a longer deal for a little less money and I'm yours. I'm expecting something in the range of 8-10 years at about $5.5-6.5 million hitting the cap per season. $7m just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, especially for only 3 years.
For Nashville, those numbers should be a no-brainer. If that's the ultimate contract, why wasn't signed sometime between July and September?

I've got to go back to what I wrote in last week's Friday Face-Offs:

Quote:
Willes really hits the nail on the head regarding the reasons too. It’s not obtaining the money to re-sign Shea Weber. It’s not even about obtaining the money necessary to re-sign Ryan Suter and Pekka Rinne. Ryan’s article (as have many other articles from Predators’ bloggers, including myself) does a good job of showing that Nashville can do that without crossing the perceived internal budget of the salary cap midpoint. This all comes down to convincing each of those players, in turn, that they can win consistently and compete for a Stanley Cup while playing in Nashville.

Ownership may continue to claim at every opportunity that their goal is to compete for a Stanley Cup every season. It’s fair to say that everything that they have done to this point has shown every indication of having the wherewithal and determination of seeing that through. If they fail to sign Shea Weber to a long-term contract, however, that tells me and Weber that there are limits to that wherewithal and determination.

Elite players want to have the same chance as every other elite player to compete for the Cup. If you don’t convince one that they will have that opportunity, you will not keep [them] once they reach unrestricted status- no matter how much they love the coach, their teammates, the city, or the fans. That fact has always been in my mind when I’ve made past pushes for that one piece to put Nashville over the hump (Hossa, Semin, and most recently Iginla).

That’s another “reality” for Paul Fenton, David Poile and the owners.
At some point most truly successful businesses have to take a significant risk- many times to break through to "another level".

The Predators have been gaining ground on the business side- attendance, revenues and sponsors. On the hockey side, they've plateaued. They are in a position where taking an increased risk by "cashing in" some of the built up momentum on the business side could help break that glass ceiling on the hockey side. And if the hockey side finally moves forward, it will take the business side even higher.

If Weber's contract isn't a longterm contract, that will be a significant blow to the chances of re-signing Ryan Suter, to the fans of the team, and to their marketing efforts.

I fully believe that money is not the issue (with Weber or Suter).

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote