View Single Post
Old
02-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Point taken. I agree to a certain extent to this. It's definitely astonishing the offensive that Coffey could generate. However, it definitely helped him more than hurt him to be surrounded by the best offensive minded talent of All-Time (Which I fully understand he was part of). In the defensive zone, Coffey was better defensively than Trottier, true. But if we give credit for Coffey for creating offense in the defensive and neutral zone, I would give credit to Trottier for his great defensive play in the neutral and offensive zone, which exceeded Coffey.
Thank you for acknowledging that. I'm not really sure what you mean by Trottier's "defensive play in the offensive zone". I guess you mean forechecking, in which case, I fully agree with you. In the neutral zone, Coffey broke up loads of plays from behind with his speed. As a forward, he would have been considered absolutely brilliant at neutral zone backchecking, so I'm not sure I agree with you that Trottier was the better defensive player between the bluelines.

Quote:
I'll wait to see the argumentation on that before judging. You're basically saying you would take Paul Coffey over the like of Brad Park, Viacheslav Fetisov and Larry Robinson, which I definitely disagree.
Actually, that's not what I'm saying. Although I am a big fan of his, I have Bryan Trottier in the group of centers that includes Nighbor, Sakic, Schmidt and Lalonde, and below the level of Morenz, Clarke and Esposito. Just to put my statements in context. As far as comparing Coffey to Robinson and Fetisov...if I had the choice, I'd take either of the other defensemen when starting my team, not because they were necessarily better in an absolute sense, but because they are much more conventional and easier to build around. Coffey vs. Park, Chelios, Pilote and all of the other "next tier" defensemen...that one's much harder. I think his career and certainly his peak was probably better than that group of guys, but he's still the most difficult of the bunch to properly use from an ATD perspective. We'll see what kind of pieces I am able to put around him.

As far as the Coffey / Cyclone Taylor comparison, we will revisit that discussion, but much later. I have my reasons for wanting to wait.