View Single Post
Old
02-01-2011, 08:41 AM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Below what average? The average of the defensemen taken in the top 40? Ok. Below the average of the league he actually played in? No way.

He was encouraged to play a certain way because that was what the Oilers were built to do.

I can guarantee you every one of those guys was covered for while they rushed. You can't be in two places at once despite the popular notion around here about some players.

I don't care if everyone around here sees Bobby Orr as Jesus (I admit it was close).. rushing defensemen (even Orr) do take risks and get caught sometimes.. that is the nature of the game when you're generating that level of offense from a defenseman.

Is Bobby Orr better defensively than Paul Coffey - absolutely by miles. Is Coffey as bad as everyone says? No. With his speed he was generally able to catch back up even if he was caught.. just like Orr was able to because of his skating.

xxx was the guy holding the fort for Coffey and even he says that Coffey didn't make it that hard on him. And when you judge the results, I'd have to agree.

The difference between those more well rounded guys and Coffey is that Coffey will make every player around him better moreso than Robinson, Fetisov, Park.

The guy was a genius at transitioning with a long outlet pass or with his speed on a rush.
- Paul Coffey is by a good margin the worst defenceman in his zone taken so far in this draft? Can we agree on this?

- I have read on Coffey, I've watched a dozen and more games of Coffey with the Oilers. I'm old enough to have saw the post-Edmonton career.

- I won't try to pretend I know more than I do on Paul Coffey and his time with the Oilers. I'm always willing to hear a good argument and change my mind. If I understand what you're writing BC, is that in his tenure with the Oilers (7 years), Coffey was an above-average defensive defenceman compare to his pear, right? If that's the case, Paul Coffey time in Edmonton is almost comparable to Red Kelly tenure with the Red Wings (Coffey better offensively, Kelly even better defensively). Kelly's legacy goes on with the Leafs, while Coffey legacy goes on with Pittsburgh and Detroit. Which mean that in the end, Kelly probably have a slight advantage on Coffey, but both are Top-20 players of All-Time.