View Single Post
Old
02-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripe4theSnipe View Post
Alright, so you're telling me that because he was performing well last year in his rookie season, when no one else had seen him playing before that we were supposed to expect his play to fall off this much? It's alright, I didn't know that players who were performing poorly lose value...

Phaneuf suddenly went from being an elite defenceman to an "overpaid bum" in one season. Vinny is know on apparently an albatross contract because his play his gone down. People were saying that Iginla was done at the beginning of the year before he his play began to heat up. These were proven players, not just sophmores either, yeah it's natural to think we overstated Bozak's ability if he hits a huge slump.

On the flip side, you guys all had boners about Nathan Horton at the beginning of the year, now not so much. Don't try and play this off as something more than it is.
Also, on the Kessel could only get a mid-late first round pick business, let's look at precedent. A rental Hal Gill, Domonic Moore, Matt Cullen, Ales Kotalik, Raffi Torres etc got a 2nd round pick (+ another piece in some cases) at the deadline. Kovalchuk in February at 27ish years old, with rumours that he wanted to test the market and was demanding a 100 mill + contract got a 1st round pick, Top Prospect (Cormier), Rookie Stud at the time (Bergfors) and Top 4 defenseman with a slightly high salary (Oduya).

You're telling me that a 23 year old Kessel which serious break out potential under contract through 2014-2015 at $5.4 would only get a mid to late first? Give your head a shake...
My point was everyone was calling Bozak a "second line center" over the summer and prorating his stats up the ass, and now suddenly he sucks...just interesting.

And of course we thought Horton was gonna be great, I admit it. We were terribly wrong.

And look at it this way, why would any team give up a ton ten pick for someone who is "lazy," "one dimensional," "only speeds up the boards and does the curl and drag" and "isnt a player u build a team around." (Actual quotes from Leaf posters). Top ten picks are very valuable picks, why would a team, who isnt very good if theyre picking top ten, trade that cost controlled valuable player for a 5.4 million dollar player who has notable weaknesses/deficiencies? Why would they mirror Burkes mistake (in terms of team success)?

Would I trade Kessel for say Jordan Caron (Mid 1st round pick)? In a vacuum, with no history in Boston, abso****inglutely.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote