Thread: Speculation: Rentals
View Single Post
Old
02-01-2011, 01:53 PM
nyr5186

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The Rangers are going to need another defenseman--preferably a veteran puck mover. Teams that tend to go far in the playoffs almost always have a spare d-man or two who can step right into the lineup without missing a beat. We lose a couple guys and it means we're bringing up Redden, Valentenko or Kundratek. We already know all we need to know about Redden--does anyone really want Valentenko or Kundratek get their baptism under fire during the playoffs? I know I'd rather not. Teams that go far in the playoffs also tend to have great goaltending and at least very good special teams play. Kaberle would be a good addition in that regard. The Rangers have a really good looking bunch of young d-men but they're going to need help to get beyond the 2nd round--at least this year. Now we can do nothing about that--let the group that's got us this far remain the same. We might still do pretty well but it's very unlikely we'll be winning anything. I think the Rangers are at least going to make a half assed attempt to go for it.
I agree with you.

This team is not as far away from contending for the Cup as some may think. I'm not saying we have a great chance, or that we're one of the favorites or anything. All I'm saying is anything can happen in the playoffs. A hot Lundqvist, some timely goalscoring (maybe Gaborik finds his stride?) and a solid defense, and you can certainly make some noise. I would argue that this team is better equipped to make a run than any Jagr-led post-lockout team (and we were 10 seconds away from being in the Eastern Conference Finals a few years ago).

Also, acquiring somebody like Kaberle or Phillips will not negatively affect guys like Sauer or McDonagh at all. They will still get their minutes and they will still gain valuable big game experience. In fact, a veteran presence would only help them. The only guy who gets affected is Gilroy, who would likely be going the other way in a trade. But that's fine with me, because I don't really see Gilroy in the long term plans here anyway. Not with Del Zotto and company knocking on the door in Hartford.

nyr5186 is offline   Reply With Quote