To PIT:
Raymond
Shirokov
Alberts/Rome
?

To VAN:
Goligoski
Talbot

Penguins upgrade at forward (as valuable as Talbot is) and downgrade at defense. They couldn't fit Shirokov onto the roster until the playoffs without sacrificing elsewhere but otherwise it works under the cap.

The Canucks would have to go out and pick up another scoring line forward at the deadline but they'd have an additional few hundred thousand in cap space to do it.

I don't know. Raymond is better than his stats this year (he's battled a couple of injuries) and has real potential as a top notch scorer, but if I'm a Pens fan I'm not sure I make the deal. I just don't think they have the blueline depth.

From a Canucks perspective, you're exacerbating an existing problem (lack of consistent secondary scoring) to address a less important problem (lack of bottom six depth) and a non-existent problem ("only" six top four and seven top five defensemen). So you make this deal and while you get two good players back, you still have to go out and make another deal to address the loss of Raymond.

I'd be ambivalent about this trade which tells me the value is reasonable.. but I can see why fans of either team might not like it.
Value is getting there but I'd imagine you'd have to add at least a 2nd from the Nucks. Even then I think the Pens probably pass because like you say we don't have the depth on the backend to downgrade from Goose to Alberts/Rome. The only way I can see Shero moving Talbot at the deadline is if he can add a legit top 6 option and I don't think we could make a deal around Talbot + for Raymond.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote