Thread: Speculation: Rentals
View Single Post
Old
02-02-2011, 09:45 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Listen I understand your mindset rodent. I understand our past moves. The only one of the examples that you gave that I was for was Kovalev. I'd always take kovalev because he is still a talented offensive player.

But that is neither here nor there. I'm not looking to add a contract that extends past this year. I'm asking why are we not open to adding very good offensive defenseman. For those of you who dont think he is a top 15 defenseman in this league you have no idea what you're talking about. He's playing on a poor team and still has 30 points. He is on pace for 50. That's top 15 statistics.

Maybe all of you who dont want Kaberle didnt watch the game last night. Because if you did you would've have seen another horrific showing from the PP units. We had a 5 minute power play for ****s sake. 5 Minutes! And it was without the Penguins best PKer, Staal who had taken the penalty. Not to mention they had already lost Asham. Crosby, Malkin, Letestu were all not playing. And we only manage one goal? And that was with 40 seconds left on the PP. Thats ****ing pathetic. And thennnnn we had even more chances on the PP in the 3rd. Its like the penguins didnt even mind taking penalties against us. We never look like we have the extra guy out there because we cant move the puck well enough to exploit the other team playing one man short by getting the puck to an open player. Its just awful. If you think Kaberle wouldnt enhance this team's PP greatly then you need to get your heads out of your ***** and start paying attention to whats going on out on the ice. Losing to the penguins in OT shouldnt have happened. Losing to the penguins period, shouldnt have happened.
We had these arguments in one of the Drury threads. The pwp looks like ****. Why isn't Torts giving Chris--a noted pwp goal scorer in the past--pwp time? To me our crappy pwp is less about the forwards and more about the pointmen. I'm sorry but Staal--our best d-man and whose offense is improving is not particularly adept or creative on the point on the pwp. The occasional end to end goals he scores are great but those don't tend to be the kind you score on pwp's. On the pwp he's more about keeping the play alive than making plays. Ditto for Gilroy. Girardi's a little better IMO but it's not by much. MDZ is our only d-man with a clue but when he's fighting himself we're kind of screwed. So we've been seeing a little of MZA or Gaborik lately. It's a hole. And a good pwp is more often than not the difference between going deep into the playoffs or going home early.

It would be nice if there were such a thing as a Kaberle available for cheap who had a howitzer and played a mean, physical game or for that matter anyone else who could do all those things. As far as cheap goes even the mostly non-agressive Kaberle is not likely to be very cheap--and it might be better just to forget him and take our chances with what we have--aiming more for next year than this year. I don't see Sather doing that and in Kaberle's defense he is a smart and slick puck mover--a player who can think and act instinctively on his feet. He would not be a bad short term addition as long as you did not give up too much for him.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote