View Single Post
Old
02-02-2011, 10:40 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
You need to take into consideration how hard it was to make and stay in the Original 6. Essentially 6 goalies, 30 defencemen and about 60 forwards were regulars. Now there are 60 goalies, 180 D-Men and 360 forwards. If you screwed up you were in the AHL and might never get another chance. Sure there were no Europeans and few Americans but there was a very large pool of players from Canada. There were NO weak players, NO bad players. The competition was fierce to stay in the NHL.

If you assume like I do that stars are stars in any era all you do is end up with less star players then then there are now, but less teams. What is a star player? I don't know exactly but if there are 30 now maybe there was 10-15 in the NHL in the 50's, 60's. And there were no really poor players like we see in the 70's and 80's and even today.

Look at Howe and Hull for example. They got more points after expansion even though they were past their primes and then in the WHA they were among the very best players, Hull in his later 30's and Howe in his mid to late 40's. If Howe was good enough at like 37 or 38 or something to get 100 points and be third in NHL in scoring, how good was he 15 years earlier when he led the NHL with 80 or 90 points? He faced far tougher competition in the Original 6. The worst players were like elite 3rd liners or good 2nd pairing D-Men today. There were only 6 goalies, the best 6 goalies in the world to score on. I have to think the Richard's, Beliveau, Geoffrion, Keon, Bathgate, Mikita, Hull and so on were comparable to Crosby, Stall, St. Louis, Ovechkin and so on today.
THANK YOU.

This is exactly what I've been saying. And despite what you try and tell us, the influx of Euro talent is not enough to make up for what this gentleman said due to the increased number of jobs.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote