View Single Post
Old
02-02-2011, 07:20 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post
This thread has brought up some great discussion.
I agree with posters who point to the team's perceived ability to compete for a cup as being key factors that could cause one of Weber or Suter to hesitate to sign here. I am not sure that is truly dependent on Nashville signing some highly regarded scorer-- I think Nashville's post season performance (while important to both) has more impact on Suter's thinking than Weber's right now, as he approaches UFA status. And if those two are NOT aware how the two together are better than they are apart, they need their heads examined.
Best case scenario-- the pieces fall into place immediately after the season ends, which I hope is far into the post season.
After watching the All-Star game this weekend and seeing the Olympics last year, your statement isn't all together true. Not saying I disagree because both compliment each other tremendously on the ice. However, Weber was paired with Niedermayer at the Olympics and shined because Scott's style of play is very similar to that of Suter's. Weber just played with Lidstrom at the all-star game, and while it's not a true measure of their play, they pretty much dominated out there.

Suter, at the Olympics was paired with Rafalski and while he's always been a great player, he sure had the tournament of his career paired with Suter.

On the flip side, when Weber was paired with Bouillon, a second/third tier type defenseman, his game suffered tremendously. So to me, their play is dependent on their defense partner as much as it is together. If you were to put Weber with a guy like Enstrom, I bet they'd form a pretty solid duo. If you have Suter with a guy like Kronwall or Girardi, I would bet you'd still have a pretty formidable pairing. Unfortunately, Bouillon isn't at the level of these guys and there is a tremendous drop off in talent and it was obvious. It's not the Weber became a bad player, he just had to overcompensate for his partner.

I bet would could trade Weber and Seabrook and a Keith/Weber combo would be just as good as a Seabrook/Suter combo. To me it all comes down to who they're paired with. In some cased they'll continue to shine, in others, they'll struggle.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote