View Single Post
Old
02-03-2011, 02:40 AM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta View Post
Also, I was just curious but how has Bernier been this year for you guys? Quick played spectacular today and he has been doing well for most of the year, does this mean that Bernier might be the one that gets traded?
Bernier's been okay. He's still adjusting to a few things, mainly not playing all that much.

I can't fathom Lombardi has even contemplated trading either goalie. Both are signed to very cap friendly deals (Quick at 1.8 per; Bernier at 1.2 per and still an RFA) and neither has proved they're the clear cut guy going forward to make a trade worthwhile. Young, relatively unproven goalies just don't fetch enough on the trade market for it to make sense. We're better off keeping both on the cheap until the end of 2012/13 season when we have to make decisions on their next contracts barring them signing new deals prior to that.

I'd guess the "plan" is to hope by that point one of Quick/Bernier has clearly been established as our long term #1, one of our other goalie prospects such as Zatkoff/Jones has developed enough to take over the backup role full time, and the "loser" in the starting goalie battle can be moved similar to what Montreal did with Price/Halak this past off-season.