Thread: Proposal: Parise to Van
View Single Post
Old
02-05-2011, 10:30 AM
apice3*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
okay, then please try and provide a logical argument why Parise is WORTH more than Kesler.

I've provided it above.... there is no doubt in my mind that Kesler has more asset value overall. It just seems silly to me that two comparable players, one with a GREAT contract, and the other with uncertainty in his contract, would have similar value, let alone the one with the worse contract situation having more value.

Kesler is signed up for the next 5yrs at $5mill/yr... tell me how exactly Parise, a similar player in every way, who hits RFA status next year, and then UFA the year after, while in an injury-prone season vs. (yet another) breakout season for the other, has more value?

Instead of laughing at the suggestion and telling us that we're high for thinking it, try and provide a logical argument... I'd love to hear it!
Parise has twice topped Kesler's career high in points, once by 7 and once by 19. He's put up 30+ goals in four straight years starting his sophomore season. He's also put up a higher +/- in each of the last 3(?) seasons. He also takes far less penalty minutes. He's also been doing it in a defensive minded system that restricts his abilities. I'd love to see what he could do in a offensive minded system, assuming NJ was the team he was doing it with.

Kesler's defense is above Parise's, but is there really that much of a difference between a top 3 Selke finish and a top 8 Selke finish? It's not like offense where the difference between 3rd and 8th could be 25 points.

Kesler definitely has the better contract, but if Parise were to sign long term for 6 mil per, there is no doubt that Parise would have the better contract. That's not the case though so I will surrender that point, as well as the one about the injury. That being said, I don't think Parise's knee injury is as serious as everyone is making it out to be. They caught the issue early and performed 'exploratory' arthroscopic surgery to remove bone/cartilage fragments or something along those lines. He likely could have been back in the upcoming weeks but there was no need to rush him given the season results. Besides, knee injuries aren't that serious in hockey due to the lack of stress put on them compared to other sports. For example, in football, an ACL tear is an 18 month injury. Johan Franzen suffered one last year and was back in four months, without a hitch. Parise's going to be fine.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote