View Single Post
Old
02-05-2011, 10:49 PM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
No Glenn, there aren't examples where "Ovechkin" was the next player picked after us-- atleast in the limitations of your game where it has to be the next 5 picks. I would certainly take an Erberle over a Chet Pickard, though. But back to the real NHL here, there are plenty example of teams who found a way to build an offense without having multiple #1 and #2 overall picks.

We've already talked about Philly and Detroit. Dallas is another example of a team that's made a couple excellent trades the last few years, and have found true offensive players in the draft.

Both Eriksson and Neal were 2nd rd picks. Trade-wise, the picked up Riberio for very little. They picked up Richards for not a huge price.

Those are their top 4 forwards; any one would be the leading scorer on our team. Before we hear the budget whining, no one will convince me that Richard's 7m salary would be more of a burden than paying Dumont + Legwand 8.5m.

TB- outbid us for Martin St. Louis in 2000 for 800K (you'll have to take my word for it). That's the kind of move that would've moved Poile from "pretty good" to really good.

Hamhuis- we all watched the inevitable happen last offseason. Why didn't he move Hamhuis in the offseason of 2009 when he had major value? Especially when we could've turned around and signed someone like Zanon. He's very reluctant/scared to move assets, with the exception of Forsberg, which was mostly Leipold, and mostly a mistake.

Arkhipov-- at one time had a decent amount of trade value. Where was the foresight to say "Hey, I don't see this guy as a core player, let's trade him for someone we feel will be part of our core." Instead, we just let his value rot away.

I can't think of any drafted player that Poile has moved (sans Forsbeg trade) unless it was a "have-to" scenario like Hartnell.

The ability to facilitate trades is his biggest weakness. Until this year, you had to go back to 2003 to find a decent trade Poile pulled off (Sullivan).

I will give him credit that Kosistyen so far seems like he could make it a 2nd line winger-- but too early to say for sure what his career potential is.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote