Thread: Proposal: Parise to Van
View Single Post
Old
02-06-2011, 11:15 PM
CloutierForVezina

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
From what I've read, and I don't want to play the elitist card but I'll tell you I have studied plenty about sports injuries in college the last four years, Parise's injury wasn't serious. Had he played on it for an entire season, he probably would have done some damage but he tweeked it in the preseason and it took only a month to realize there was something seriously wrong. They caught everything early on and performed exploratory surgery to see what the deal was. There wasn't any ligament damage or broken cartilage and bones so there isn't much to recover from and he probably could have been back in a week or so had the Devils been in serious contention. If the Devils continue to surge, he'll be back next month and I really have no reason to believe that he won't be fine. Plenty of serious players have come back from much more serious injuries.

If this were football where you constantly plant your foot and put your knee into unstable positions, then yeah there would be cause for concern. Very rarely do you put anywhere near as much pressure on the knee in hockey so this shouldn't be a lingering easy. Parise should be fine once he gets up to game speed and gets his conditioning back to normal.
I've also studied various sports injuries at University. By no means am I an expert and you seem to know your stuff, but the impression I got from speaking to an Arthroscopic Surgeon (guest lecturer) was that pretty much all knee injuries are cause for concern. It's certainly fantastic news that there wasn't any ligament damage but you'll have to excuse me if I don't share your optimism for his long term health.

I wish Parise nothing but the best and truly hope he'll recover to 100% but I grew up watching guys like Bure... I'm a little sensitive to the whole knee injury thing. Even when there isn't ligament damage I'm concerned for the long term health of the player.

But really... this is all an aside. My original point is still very much valid. Injury or not, I'm not sure if Parise is truly a consistent 45g-50a-95p player or a consistent 35g-45a-80p player who had a career year in 2008-2009. The first stat line describes a top-10 player in the game (when combined with Parise's superb defensive play)... the second stat line is still extremely good but probably sits just outside the top-15 for forwards.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote