View Single Post
Old
07-14-2005, 06:16 AM
patnyrnyg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8
i'm not terribly happy about the system. i thought all the teams would start out with more balls and we'd be looking at the past 5 years.

I would have set up 5 balls per team

-1 for each playoff appearence in past 4 years
-.33 for each division title in past 4 years
-.33 for each conference title in past 4 years
-.33 for each presidents trophy in past 4 years
-1 for each 1st overall pick received in past 4 years
-2 for each stanley cup in past 4 years

if you go into negative numbers, you still get one ball but the placement of your pick is dropped the value of your negative score. So Detroit has 4 playoff appearences, 4 division titles, 2 conference titles, 2 president trophies, 0 1st overall picks, and one Stanely cup. A grand total of -4, -1.33, -.67, -.67, -0, -2 = -8.67 rounded to -9. 5 balls -9 = -4. The highest they could pick at would be the 5th overall pick. So if their ball is picked in the first 5 they would always pick 5th (1 - -4). For a team with that much success, the 5th overall pick ain't too shaby.

Now take a team like Buffalo. In the past 4 years they've had 1 playoff appearence. No division titles. No cups. They have 5 - 1 = 4 balls. Columbus, Pittsburgh, and New York would probably all be at 5. Not diligent enough to do the whole league to see if my hairbrained scheme has any merit but it just seems dumb that teams with Stanley Cups and teams that consistent are top in their division, conference, and league also all have shots at not only the 1st overall, but the 2nd and 3rd. Would it be fair for Detroit to snag even a Brule or Johnson? IMO, no. oh well. If we ran things around here, there wouldn't even have to be a lottery.
Well, as a math guy, I can appreciate your effort. I think this would work if they were ONLY choosing the first overall pick. What happens if Detroit wins the lottery, gets the 5th pick, the 2nd team out ALSO winds up with the 5th pick as they are a "-3" and the 3rd team out as well? If the 2nd team out gets dropped to 6th, you could have a situation where the 10th team out of the chute gets the first overall pick.