View Single Post
Old
02-07-2011, 03:13 PM
hungryhungryhippy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I guess my point is that HHH is pointing him out to be this ridiculously good playoff player, whereas Beliveau blows him out of the water 11-6. I'm not trying to punish him for not scoring well against players, I'm saying that in comparison to his relative position, Tremblay was top 10 6 times. In Beliveau's position, he was top 10 11 times. I think it's a pretty fair comparison.
I'm not painting him inaccurately what-so-ever, he is quite clearly a ridiculously dominant playoff performer, it's clear as day and not even arguable.

Maybe you should have actually read the bio and developed a more informed opinion before you responded. I apologize if you actually did read the bio, but it just doesn't seem like it because I don't see how anyone with an informed opinion would have responded with the tone of dispute that you did.

I didn't just throw that little bit in there whimsically; if you had read the bio, you would have seen the plethora of quotes, stats, and accomplishments that set him out as an elite playoff performer, and you would have seen how the argument developed in context (Struminator's quote under the playoff section).

A concentrated version of the bio pertaining to playoff performance:

Quote:
Tremblay established his reputation as a great in the playoffs, where he was a tremendous performer, seemingly able to turn up his game like flicking a switch. He scored 14 goals, 51 assists and 65 points in 108 games, helping the Montreal Canadiens to 5 Stanley Cup championships. -Joe Pelletier
Quote:
A regular season stalwart, Tremblay took his game to another level in the playoffs. -Canadiens Site
Quote:
But it was in the playoffs where J.C. really shone, scoring 9 points in 13 playoff games. With the Canadiens up 3 games to none in the finals against the Blues, the Canadiens were trailing 2-1 in the third period. At 7:24 of the third, J.C. set up Henri Richard for the tying goal, and four minutes later scored the Stanley Cup winning goal. -"The Forgotten Habs" Series
Top-10 Playoff Scoring Amongst All Skaters x3 (2nd, 6th, 7th)
*Including Hull, Howe, Mikita, Delvecchio, Ullman, H. Richard, Bathgate, Mahovlich, etc...

Top-10 Playoff Scoring Amongst Defensemen x6 (1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 5th)
*Including Pilote, Kelly, Gadsby, Orr, Park, etc...

Stanley Cup Champion x5 (1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1971)

*Was robbed of a Conn Smythe trophy in 1966
Quote:
The year is 1966. Ace defenseman Jean-Claude Tremblay is the key player as the Montreal Canadiens defend their Stanley Cup championship. Tremblay leads all Canadiens players in point scored during these playoffs, tallying 11 points including 1 goal and 6 points in the finals against Detroit. His defensive effort was also supreme. He seemed to always be on the ice for the many crucial situations faced in a playoff game.
--> He played the role of #1 d-man for the Canadiens, anchoring the defense and playing in every situation necessary
--> While ALSO leading the ENTIRE TEAM in playoff scoring and finishing 2nd amongst ALL SKATERS in scoring.
--> The award was controversially given to the goalie of the losing team

Quote:
It's worth noting that Montreal was able to win Cups over this period without Laperriere in the playoffs, but the one year that Tremblay got hurt (69-70), they did not even qualify for the postseason. Over the span of Tremblay's peak years in Montreal (1965-72), he scored 60 points in 85 playoff games, an absolutely ridiculous pace for that era, and didn't have a single poor performance. The 2nd place scorer among defensemen over this period (XXXXXX) has barely more than 50% of Tremblay's total, with 32 points. J.C. Tremblay was quite clearly the dominant postseason defenseman of his era, and quite possibly the single best postseason player of his era, as well. -Sturminator