View Single Post
Old
02-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Hawkey Town 18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I chose to use 5th rather randomly. I didn't want to use the first few spots because those numbers can be skewed by the freaks (just like any statistical extreme really). 25th is the equivalent because in a 30 team league there are 5x as many 1st liner players than a 6 team league.

You say 5th and 25th are not equivalent, but in terms of where that player ranks amongst first line players in the NHL they are equivalent. The 5th ranked player is in the 72nd percentile among 18 first line forwards, and the 25th ranked is in the same spot among 90 first line forwards. When comparing to their peers, they are in the exact same spot.
To elaborate...the next step would be to compare the differences across eras to show competition level. In the example I gave, the percentage differences were virtually identical. This tells me that the competition level is near the same in those two eras.

On the other hand, if the current day numbers showed a much bigger percentage difference between the 25th and 50th than the O6 numbers did between 5th and 10th then you would be able say that the modern era is not as competitive as the O6 was.

(Obviously this would need to be much more complex, and use multiple spots as comparisons if you really wanted it to be accurate)