View Single Post
Old
02-07-2011, 03:52 PM
overpass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhungryhippy View Post
You'll have to excuse my ignorance, overpass, I don't have the sort of experience and knowledge you do with PP numbers, and threw the comment in there sort of whimsically based on this:

Now that I think of it, I guess they meant he sparkled as the team's powerplay quarterback (referring to 69-71) , (and played in Montreal) for 11 years. That makes a lot more sense haha.

Regardless, I took your post as mostly positive. Tremblay wasn't really an established defenseman pre-1965 so it's expected that he wasn't doing anything during those years. But he was playing on the powerplay (though not as QB, but you said that was normal for defensemen) after 1965 and scoring more than any other defender on the team. And then for a couple years he did QB the PP and that corresponded with the emergence of the unit's dominance. Which is a very good sign, and that experience + his skill-set indicates that he is obviously a good PP quarterback.
Sure, I don't mean to say that he's not a good PP option. I'm just presenting the historical record. There's definitely a strong case to make that the historical record underestimates his power play skills.

It comes back to the whole debate about hockey numbers. They just show the results for a player in a specific situation and with specific opportunities. The ATD allows us to imagine that player in a new situation.

I actually hadn't realized before I looked it up how good the Canadiens were in 1970-71 and 1971-72 on the power play compared to surrounding years, and that's definitely a point in Tremblay's favour. I don't have the power play numbers for his playoffs, but in any case his playoff scoring was extremely impressive.