View Single Post
Old
07-14-2005, 09:52 AM
canadahockeygirl*

vCash: 500
Again, I think a lot of you are underestimating what women can handle.

Either that or you're so woman-like yourselves that you couldn't handle the "traumas" of the locker room despite being the same gender as what you're changing in.

The argument that "fine, well, I'll just go play with women" is stupid. The reason there is women's hockey (and I mean this to no offense to any women's hockey player reading) is that women NOW for the most part weren't introduced to the game at an early age and can't keep up with the men. Most women's teams are beginner level. Granted in the US (especially in MA) there has been a recent boom of girls hockey at both the beginner and competitive levels, so when they get older they will have the chance to continue playing on a competitive level with women. They won't have to cross over and play with men unless they're in an area that doesn't have that option. Case in point-- the only competitive womens teams in the Boston area are travel teams that play at least an hour from where I live. Why should I waste the time commuting when I have an equally competitive mens league at the rink at school? One day that won't be an issue. Men have tons of options available to them at any level. There is really no need for a man to be playing women's hockey unless he just wants the extra ice time. And I have been part of a team that allowed two men on it who weren't exactly the best players. They played in games and completely dominated since their "not being good" was heads and shoulders above the beginner level of these women.

Holly, you bring up another great point-- most rinks don't have enough changing rooms to segregate men and women if there are multiple teams using the facility. One of the rinks I used to play at had 3 rinks, 6 changing rooms, and a separate bathroom that wasn't attached by any runners to the rinks. I'd change down to skin in the bathroom, run all the way back to rinkside in my sports bra and shorts to where my skates and pads would be and put them on. If there was a line in the ladies room, it would take longer for me to get dressed. When the teams are changing and you want your female player to go elsewhere, her choice is very limited, and often less safe than a locker room.