View Single Post
Old
02-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
I think Torres' defensive woes are overstated. He's strong along the boards and in front of the net. He's pretty good on a break out. His physicality has been good and at least I've thought his hits were well timed.

The problem is when he's forced to carry the puck. He isn't great at distributing it, and often loses the puck, gets checked easily, or makes an errant pass. This happens most often in the neutral and offensive zone.

Hansen and Malholtra are better, but not by much. The line clearly needs a competent puck carrier and passer. Torres needs to simplify his game, and so does Malholtra. That probably won't happen with Hansen on their wing.

Hansen's great, he's constantly hustling and forechecks better than most of the team. But I don't think he's what the third line needs, unfortunately. I know Hansen has many supporters, and I count myself as one of them, but its clear one of the wingers on that third line needs to be moved around the roster.
Torres' puck management is as bad as anyone on the team and he's often lost when the play is deep in his own zone losing his check and just running around chasing the puck. It wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't playing on a line that started so many shifts in their own zone or had easier head to head matchups but that's not how he's currently being used.

IMO Torres would be most valuable to this team in a 4th line role opposite Glass. His questionable defensive game wouldn't be nearly as big an issue, he could focus on playing physical and would chip in more goals than you'll get from any other 4th line player.

If Cody Hodgson solidifies the 4th line centre position between now and the deadline hopefully Gillis looks for a 3rd line left wing that excels defensively and in a perfect world can carry the puck through the neutral zone. If the 3rd line is going to go head to head with the opposition's best on a nightly basis come playoff time they would be best served with another strong defensive presence to go along with Malhotra and Hansen. Mike Grier would be a good candidate for that roster spot though won't do anything to help get more goals from that line.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote