View Single Post
Old
02-07-2011, 08:11 PM
overpass

vCash: 500
Doug Bentley, LW/C

#72 on the list of top 100 players of all time by The Hockey News in 1997.

LOH:
Quote:
Doug played left wing and was known as a "complete" player. Although he weighed only 145 pounds during his heyday, he had tremendous speed and was a natural goal scorer. Six times he had 20 or more goals in a season, and in 1942-43 he led the NHL in points even though the team finished in fifth place and out of the playoffs. It was during that season that the Bentleys made history. Their youngest brother, Reggie, was called up from the minors and played 11 games with Doug and Max, the first time three brothers played as a complete forward line. Doug was also exciting to watch and frequently had more ice time than anyone else in the game. Because of his speed, he was one of the great backcheckers of his era as well.
Scoring Finishes (regular season)

Goals: 1, 1, 6
Assists: 1, 1, 4, 5, 5, 9, 9

Postseason All-Star Teams
1942-43 NHL NHL All-Star Team (1st)
1943-44 NHL NHL All-Star Team (1st)
1946-47 NHL NHL All-Star Team (1st)
1948-49 NHL NHL All-Star Team (2nd)

Note: At least one of Doug's big seasons, 1943-44, came in a war-weakened NHL.

In general, Doug was more of a goal-scorer while playing the wing and more of a playmaker while at centre. He left the NHL at the age of 35 to play and coach at home in Saskatchewan, although he was still capable of playing in the NHL.

Doug on the power play
1954 (Doug was making his comeback to the NHL after 3 years off):
Quote:
The Leafs may have some trouble with Doug and Max Bentley, the two power-play experts who will be showing at the Gardens together for the first time since they were teammates with Chicago Black Hawks six years.

"Max is the greatest player at the point position on power plays that I've ever seen" says Hap Day, assistant general-manager of the Leafs. "Max and Doug together make up the two best point men in the business."
Quotes:

Great Left Wingers: Stories of Hockey's Golden Age:

Quote:
For the next 12 seasons with the Black Hawks, the 145-pound "ghost", Doug Bentley, was indeed "terrific". Using his tremendous speed and natural goal scoring ability, Bentley scored more than 20 goals in a season six times. He was an all-star three times and won the NHL scoring title once. Bentley also used his blazing speed to help out his defence. He was considered one of the most ferocious back-checkers of his era.

Max Bentley: "We had so much fun playing together. Doug and Bill were the best I ever saw, the fastest. They had different styles. When we were coming up to the other team's blue line, Mosie liked me to pass him the puck before he hit the defence and he'd carry it around them. With Doug, he wanted me to dump the puck between the two defencemen and he'd swoop around and pick it up."

In 1950, he was awarded the Half-Century Award as Chicago's best player by the Chicago newspaper Herald American.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote