View Single Post
Old
02-07-2011, 09:22 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
The Clock on Avery has to be Ticking

Let me preface this by saying I was a huge Avery supporter and felt that for the money they currently pay him, he's worthy of a 3rd or 4th line role. I have defended him for over three years now.But it's becoming painfully obvious that he adds to the high stupidity factor to this team. If there was anything more perplexing than his lack of goal scoring, it's that Torts played him a season-high 20-plus minutes against Florida, then played him no more than 10 mins in each of the next 3 games.

This guy just can't do anything right.

But I'm trying to figure out what purpose he has on this team. He has two goals in 55 games played. He'll probably finish the year with his typical 35-40 points (if he's lucky), but his offense isn't my concern.

He's become a huge defensive liability. Amazingly, he's a bigger liability with the puck in the offensive zone than he is without it in his own end. It's quite impossible to do, but Avery with the puck during a cycle actually serves to the advantage of the other team.

I counted four -- yes FOUR -- odd-man rushes his blind centering feeds created for the other team in the Devils game. I counted three in the Habs game. Tonight through two periods, his stupidity with the puck led to two odd-man rushes, and a shot in which he missed the net by a mile led to another.

I know he's a NYC fixture, and he will make life miserable for any team who desires who take a gamble on him. But in all honesty, when Fedotenko comes back, Avery should be benched or sent down to Hartford so he can at least try to put some sense into his game.

If you asked me, I'd say enjoy him as much as you can. It doesn't seem like he fits into the teams identity and plans moving forward.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote