View Single Post
Old
02-08-2011, 01:34 AM
Bolkonsky

vCash: 500
Quote:
The point I'm trying to make here is that would the Sedins be 100+ point players under Burke or Nonis?? Maybe, maybe not but they are 100+ point players under Gillis and he was smart enough to get them locked up to real good deals before that happened.
I think this point should be emphasized. People need to realize that building a cup contending team is more than just getting the right players, it's also about getting them at the right price.

I agree Burke's contribution to Anaheim's cup win was huge, but he also left Anaheim in cap hell upon his departure. Burke took advantage of the abundance of good contracts with Perry, Getzlaf, Penner, Pahlsson, Kunitz, Beauchemin, and Macdonald. With a solid core locked up at a reasonable price, he went out and got the high priced Niedermayer and Pronger. Even though I am a Canuck fan and I dislike Burke, I'm not going to pretend he doesn't know how to get good players; however, I think he is atrocious at player(Umberger situation) and salary management.

I think Mike Gillis has done a good job because he locked up our core and managed the salary cap beautifully. Other than Lou's questionable terms (but good cap hit), I doubt anyone can point to any player on the Canuck roster and call him a salary dump.

Gillis also looked at our weakness each year and addressed it appropriately. Upon his arrival, he was firm about building a fast, high scoring team. During his first off season, he saw that we lacked a high end point getter, so he went out of his way to attract Sundin to Vancouver, which did wonders for young players such as Kesler and Raymond. He also got Demitra, which some would call a mistake. But his first season in Vancouver was far from a mistake, and was a suitable gap plug during transition period. During the second off season, he recognized our need for a high quality PMD, so he got Ehrhoff and Schneider (whose ego was unfortunately too big for being a depth dman). Ehrhoff is now an indispensable member of our team. Last off season, he recognized our need for a tougher 3rd line and more durable dmans in case of inevitable injures to our blue line, so he went out and got Hamhuis, Ballard, Malhotra, and Torres.

Gentlemen, that is why I think Gillis is a damn good GM and a big reason why the Canucks are the number 1 team this year, with a bright future ahead.

Bolkonsky is offline   Reply With Quote