Thread: STU Tommies
View Single Post
Old
02-08-2011, 05:51 AM
gleanerguy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecutter View Post
Oh yes, one final thing I always said that the move to the new rink was an investment of over a million dollars. That was confirmed by the university and confirmed again in the gleaner this morning. oh yeh almost forgot Mike will be offered one job or the other. because assistant coaches were mentioned it is the same as confirming he won't be back as coach. They are, however, confirming that they are committed to bringing hockey to the competitive level. That means more money, which will mean a paid for assistant coach and money under the table for the players. betcha all players start getting money awards etc and first line players suddenly start driving new trucks. Non varsity sports were mentioned so they are safe to go, but they cost no money anyway. female hockey was not mentioned, but it will either get the axe or be given more scholarships to recruit an entire team of imports. Either way STU is buying us one or two new teams...yay. Oh yeh nothing in store for the rest of the student body.
So, let's see...you ***** if the team is not competitive. You ***** now if they take the necessary steps to make it competitive. At the risk of outing myself, I sat in Dennis Cochrane's office for 90 minutes yesterday...they're late to the realization, but they realize a competitive flagship athletic program is important to the university. The million dollar investment they're making at the rink, they consider an investment...they can generate revenue through sales of canteen rights, rink board advertising and so on. They're not tipping their hand as to which job Eagles will be offered -- I don't think they're sure yet themselves. But if it's the coaching job, yes, they'll be looking at the assistants too -- not on a full time basis a la UNB, but somebody who can assist Mike and has strengths that he doesn't have.
I'm getting the flavour of this whole deal now -- it's just a place to complain. They're damned if they do something, damned if they don't. You people have been screaming for change. You're getting it. Now you're screaming about the direction that change takes. Sheesh!