View Single Post
Old
02-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Jester was right on everything except for one thing I think. I don't see how the Penguins even replace Malkin's production. With Staal? Then who replaces Staal's 50? Kunitz? Who replaces Kunitz? $8m in cap space?

The Penguins need a rental PPG forward on a UFA contract, and they need to have a healthy Crosby and a healthy Staal. Even Letestu is hurt, and this is a team that won a Stanley Cup and attended another based on center depth alone. Without center depth, their depth is laughable.
That's just it, they don't need a PPG forward to replace what Malkin has been doing this year. He was pacing to a 70 pt season... solid, but replaceable for the most part (I imagine there will be a 60 pt forward available). Malkin is also a minus player. In fact, if you look at his career numbers, he essentially has needed to score at a PPG pace to make up for the fact that he's atrocious defensively.

Staal has played in 15 games this year. So, they're nipping on our heels with him having missed almost 40 games. He's replacing himself as far as their position in the standings and what they've accomplished thus far.

Malkin is a very skilled player, but he's also a bit overrated.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote