View Single Post
Old
02-08-2011, 11:49 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slager View Post
I think this point should be emphasized. People need to realize that building a cup contending team is more than just getting the right players, it's also about getting them at the right price.

I agree Burke's contribution to Anaheim's cup win was huge, but he also left Anaheim in cap hell upon his departure. Burke took advantage of the abundance of good contracts with Perry, Getzlaf, Penner, Pahlsson, Kunitz, Beauchemin, and Macdonald. With a solid core locked up at a reasonable price, he went out and got the high priced Niedermayer and Pronger. Even though I am a Canuck fan and I dislike Burke, I'm not going to pretend he doesn't know how to get good players; however, I think he is atrocious at player(Umberger situation) and salary management.
I think the key to Burke is that he is guy that'll make that bold move on one hand, but on the other he has a distinct lack of patience and simply makes whatever bold move is available at the time. His contribution to the cup win in Anaheim was primarily the addition of Niedermayer and Pronger, two Norris winning defenseman. It's not like he willed the moves to happen though, Niedermayer was finished in New Jersey and wanted to test the market and Pronger demanded a trade out of Edmonton. That was kind of a perfect storm that you're not going to get everyday.

While Pronger was an obvious deal you make, he did give up the equivilent of 4 1sts and a 2nd for him. For Vancouver while the Sedin deal ended up being absolutely great for us, people don't realize how close to disasterous that was. He traded McCabe (a 23 year old developing top pairing dman), our next years first (potential lottery pick like Heatley or Gaborik) for the #4 overall pick which at this point could have left us with Stefan and Brendl in a worst case scenario, but blew through a pair of 3rd rounds to ensure we got the Sedins.

So if you look at his history is it any wonder that he's going to go for what's there at the moment? He wanted to make a splash at his first TO draft, so dropped a 2nd and a 3rd to move up 2 spots and get Luke Schenn over Wilson or Hodgson (not saying that's a bad thing). A recent top draft pick has a falling out with his team, and Burke jumps right in moving two 1sts and a 2nd to get him. By this point it should be pretty obvious how Burke runs his teams, and why Anaheim and Vancouver had so little organizational depth once he left them.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote