Old
02-08-2011, 12:26 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post

My guess at it.
I'll be honest BFC, I can't quite follow that spreadsheet.

Generated by CapGeek's 2011-2012 Cap Calculator with the cap increased $3 million over this year:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Patric Hornqvist ($3.083m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Colin Wilson ($1.725m)
Martin Erat ($4.500m) / Matthew Lombardi ($3.500m) / Sergei Kostitsyn ($2.250m)
Jordin Tootoo ($1.250m) / Jerred Smithson ($0.800m) / Nick Spaling ($0.900m)
J.P. Dumont ($4.000m) / Marcel Goc ($1.500m) / Marek Svatos ($0.800m)
Wade Belak ($0.575m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($3.500m) / Shea Weber ($6.500m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.350m) / Kevin Klein ($1.350m)
Cody Franson ($0.800m) / Jonathon Blum ($0.941m)

GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($3.400m) /Anders Lindback ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $48,100,000; BONUSES: $1,112,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $15,412,500

Note that this produces a salary just above the floor if you don't include bonuses (likely to not be achieved).

So, there's quite a bit of room to do somethings and/or make a few different choices (someone else instead of Svatos, etc.).

Re-signed:

Weber @ $6.5
Kostitsyn @ $2.25
Goc @ $1.5
Spaling @ $.9
Svatos @ $.8 (or some other fast player with offensive skills in the $1 million range)

Explicitly did not re-sign:

Joel Ward (Kept the returning Jordin Tootoo and re-signed Nick Spaling; also Geoffrion awaits)
Steve Sullivan (Svatos is younger and cheaper; Sully might produce more, but we're talking about a fourth line spot here)
Cal O'Reilly (Favored Goc's two-way play at the third center over O'Reilly's offensive skills)

Money is no problem for this team right now if one can presume that the midpoint of the cap is a good indicator of the real budget.

And money won't matter when Suter's and Wilson's contracts come up for renewal (Dumont's salary + likely cap increase) either. Or Rinne's and Hornqvist's (likely cap increase).

There's only one thing that could potentially get in the way of Poile re-signing all three of Weber, Suter and Rinne: either the inability to acquire (as in unavailable to sign or trade for) or the unwillingness to acquire (too costly to acquire not including actual salary) an elite forward to allow the team to breakthrough to that next level. If it's not done, even though there is room to do so, it might inspire one or more of Weber, Suter, and Rinne to walk at the first opportunity (if I were an elite player, I would).

There's only one potential elite forward hitting free agency after this season and it's Brad Richards.

That means that David Poile will likely need to press harder to acquire that forward via a trade. He's going to have to come off some of that stockpile in talent he's got at his disposal. He's got young forwards in Kostitsyn, Wilson and Horqnvist that are likely going to be a part of his top six for many years anyway.

If he doesn't, I think (meaning my opinion, and only my opinion with no inside knowledge whatsoever) that none of Weber, Suter or Rinne will be Predators beyond 2012-2013 at the latest (assuming Weber gives Poile two years). If I was the elite player that any of them are, I certainly wouldn't. They have a finite amount of time to reach their goal of winning a Stanley Cup and they need to do everything they can to achieve it. If they don't then they aren't the competitive and driven players I think they are.

Last edited by David Singleton: 02-08-2011 at 12:33 PM.
David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote