View Single Post
Old
07-14-2005, 02:50 PM
The Original Steve

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
i have no faith in jfj whatsoever. most of his moves so far have been awful.

his grand plan of focussing on drafting and player development seems to have been flushed down the toilet. in this new cba, amateur scouting and player development will be less important then ever before.

makes you wonder if he has any clue what's going on.
I'm going to have to disagree with you and Burke big-time Frankie. If you look at other Cap Leagues (NFL and NBA) the draft becomes MORE important. Why? Cheap labour. Why do the Patroits win Super Bowls? Because their drafting and signing of undrafted free agents allows them to replace older players with big contracts cheaply and without a significant dropoff in production. In a Cap world you need guys that can produce for minimum or rookie salaries. Look at Philly, with their couple of buyouts and their stable of new young blood (Pitkanen, Carter, Richards, Sharp, Seidenberg etc) they will actually be able to buy a big-time UFA if they choose. The Leafs don't have an players that are cheap that can make a significant impact.

Will the liberalizing of free agency help teams that don't draft well? Certainly, but if you have to buy a free agent for $2-$2.5 million as opposed to having a homegrown youngster for $850k, you are costing yourself flexibility.

Trust me, I am a huge NFL fan of the Dallas Cowboys a team that hasn't drafted well in 10 years.In a Cap league it paralizes you. The Cowboys have tried to spend to fill holes but it causes bigger problems. Drafting is imperative in any Cap world. Burke is making a huge miscalculation if he thinks otherwise. I think his point was that once a player is fully developed (which can take 7 years), that player can be plucked away. That is true, but having that player cheaply in the initial years is vital.