View Single Post
Old
02-09-2011, 12:55 AM
skymachine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Pretty simple. The team hasn't developed a legitimate franchise player outside of the goaltending position since Brian Leetch, and it has been decades since the team has developed a legitimate first line forward. DECADES.

For whatever the reason, whether it's Dolan, Sather or a combination, these people refuse to do what is necessary to build a winner. They don't see the need to build a contending team, or they simply don't know how to. And, of course, as a previous poster mentioned, this doesn't seem to bother the majority of the fanbase, who fall all over themselves to praise the arrival of complimentary players and role players instead of being outraged at the fact that they're constantly being asked to pay more and more for the same inferior product, year after year. I've never seen hockey fans of an original six franchise get so excited over average bottom six forwards. I can't fathom how professional hockey fans get excited over a team that, year after year, plays beer league style hockey because they don't have enough talent to compete any other way.

I've said it all year, the only chance this club has of being a Stanley Cup contender at anytime in the near future is the possibility that a 31 year old free agent will sign with us this summer. That's how poorly managed this franchise is. They chance what should be their number one objective to an event that has so many variables.
Good post. I feel every year the fanbase on here gets so excited on our bright future, and while yes this is justifiable in some ways, usually it comes down to skaters with 3rd line potential. Look back 4-5 years ago, everybody was absolutely stoked for our amazing future with names such as Prucha, Dawes, Immonen, Byers, Sangs, Korps, Montoya, Moore, A. Giroux, Baranka. And while guys like Staal, Callahan, Girardi and Dubinsky have panned out into solid NHLers, there was/is nothing that is going to put our team into the next level, skaters that teams like Pittsburgh, Chicago, Wash, Detroit, TB, Philly, even NJ have been able to draft/develop. Despite this, I prefer the current state of the Rangers then 10 years ago where they were freely trading their future away for overpaid, over-the-hill veterans.

While Henrik may be the one homegrown legit franchise player the Rangers currently have, goaltending no longer gets you to the finals, just ask Chicago, Philly, Detroit, etc.

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote