View Single Post
Old
02-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
The blame lies with Sather. That's the simple explanation.

In reality, it's a combination of everything that's happened under his tenure. The mistakes he made pulled this team into a state of mediocrity that was offset just enough by the acquisition of Jagr, and the emergence of Lundqvist to be "passable" to the fan base, and to the ownership.

It's nice to see that we're implementing more youth into our line up, and that we're putting a stronger emphasis on drafting and developing our own players. However, there will always be that part of me that dreads July 1st. Sather hasn't learned the error of his ways, he's just handcuffed himself enough that he's at the point where he cannot be the guy getting all the press on the first day of free agency.

Whats worse is that this mentality has rooted itself in the fan base. Even the majority of "hardcore" fans on this board are constantly discussing who we should go after at the deadline, and what free agents we can get on July 1st. I understand the desire for Richards, but when people star throwing out names like Connolly I feel like slapping them.

Then there's the issue of "bad contracts" getting in the way of us offering those same contracts to other people. Which just makes very little sense to me. "Buy out Drury so we can get Richards!" Okay, sure. So what happens if Richards signs elsewhere, or stays in Dallas? Do you think Sather is going to stick that money in his pocket for another day?

Build from within, then when you have a solid core, try and upgrade by trading redundant assets. If necessary, attempt to target a UFA. Sather has been doing it backwards for far too long.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote