Old
02-09-2011, 05:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You fundamentally don't understand what is going on. Comcast is in a blood feud with ESPN, they are not going to cut a deal with them. The entire idea of VS from the Comcast viewpoint was to compete with ESPN and cut into their viewers. That's why they bid on the NFL and all that jazz.

Comcast as a corporate entity doesn't care whether the NHL would be better off having a dual cable package, they're in it for themselves. And you can be damned sure they're salivating at the thought of the NBA and NFL going into prolonged labor disagreements next fall leaving them with the only live sporting events once baseball is done.
Wouldn't it behoove the NHL to be in as many homes as they possibly can for as much money as they can possible make? I'm not convinced the NHL is in a good enough position as a national brand that they'd truly reap many benefits from being the so-called only game in town (I don't think the NFL is dumping a whole season either). They got almost nothing from when the NBA was last in a lockout.

I do like the prospects of an NBC brand sports network gaining more traction. On the other hand, if the other 29 owners and commissioner get an offer they can't refuse from ESPN, what's Ed Snider going to do about it?

I would love nothing more than to someone be a legitimate competitor for ESPN, but where is the line between the NHL making a good business decision and making a statement?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote