View Single Post
Old
07-15-2005, 09:33 AM
GagneScores12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
I'd still take a balanced attack over a superstar and role players.
Look at how the Devils & Lightning teams were constructed...one word.. balance!
Maybe. But fact of the matter is that: A) Elias is a superstar player; B) St.Louis is a superstar player; C) Richards is a superstar player. It's almost like there's a degree of shame in having a superstar player on the team. I know that with the system we play, it strips the superstars of their natural talent and ability, but damn, for once I'd love to see us have a purely offensive player. We have a ton of two way players that maybe, just maybe, an purely offensive player might be what this system needs.

As for Gagne being that guy, I have no confidence that he'll even be moved off the line with Primeau and Kapanen. There isn't an incentive to move him. Think of it. You can have Knuble on a line with Carter and Roenick. You have the Handzus line with probably Somik and Radivojevic and then you have the Primeau line and finally the scrub line that unfortunately, Richards will have to center.

You can bet that all the defensive minded coaches will find systems that will neuter the "new" offensive rules that the NHL is adopting. I just don't see things changing. They've said the same for years and the moment penalties start getting called, refs get called out by various teams, and then the refs stop making the calls.