View Single Post
Old
07-15-2005, 01:54 PM
wasting time

vCash: 500
In fairness to Simmons, he was not saying that dumping the roster was the best way to go. He was only saying that it is "an extreme option" and worth some thought, but I am sure he does not believe that it is the best option.

Why is it a bad option? Because it is an all-in gamble. Such an extreme measure is rarely attempted and only if the upside is perceived to be substantial. For example, the Philly/Quebec for Lindros trade - that was an extreme gamble that did not pay off. Purging the roster so you can sign up 20 yet undefined players is ridiculous.

However, I do think that the buy out option should be looked at more seriously for more players than just Nolan. I believe players like McCabe, Berg and Antropov may be slightly over-priced in this new market. Belfour, Kaberle and Sundin are pillars for the team, in my opinion.

I suppose it depends whether the scouts saw any improvement in Berg and Antropov in Europe? As for McCabe, well, I saw enough of him the first 4 months of the season after they took away his beloved can-opener; I saw enough of him in the Philly series; and I am pretty sure I would have seen enough of him in Sweden. This guy, while a decent player, and a good Quinn trade IS OVER RATED, OVER PRICED and a head case.