View Single Post
Old
02-10-2011, 10:36 AM
LyleOdelein

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
I'm not sure if it's that the Bruins have necessarily "built" a team for escalation, as much as it is a collective reaction to what the team has experienced over the past couple of years.

I say this because the Bruins got called out for not responding to Matt Cooke's hit on Savard a year ago, and Bergeron's hit by Randy Jones the year before that. In the Savard case they were called out by Neely, by Chiarelli, by the press as a whole, etc... Everyone around the league questioned their willingness to stand up for one another. Add to that the collapse against Philly in the playoffs and you have a recipe for a team that feels like it has "something to prove" - and needs to answer the bell each and every time in terms of physical and mental toughness.

Tough price to pay to get there, but in the long-term I'm glad the Bruins demonstrate that edge to their game as a result.
Shawn Thornton beating up Hamrlik with a minute left in a 3 goal game says absolutely nothing about that team's willingness to stand up for each other. It's just a guy who's paid to fight getting a little carried away in an emotional game. Same for Campbell on Pyatt. There was no real message to be sent from that, other than that those guys are opportunistic and relentless when it comes to taking advantage of fighting non-fighters.

The Bruins "made their stand" against an easy target which sends a pretty hollow message to the league. It was what it was. A tougher team deciding to take liberties against another team they dislike late in the game. There's nothing really wrong with it, but trying to lionize their cause or the event is pointless.

It might have some significance if they ever do it against a team that fits into the context of your narrative. Such as, the team that shattered their hopes and confidence last year. Or the team who has a clown that destroyed the career of one of their best players. They've had the opportunity to send the relevant messages you speak about before, but they haven't (and I highly doubt they will in the future).