View Single Post
Old
07-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Leaf Army

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
As for McCabe, well, I saw enough of him the first 4 months of the season after they took away his beloved can-opener; I saw enough of him in the Philly series; and I am pretty sure I would have seen enough of him in Sweden. This guy, while a decent player, and a good Quinn trade IS OVER RATED, OVER PRICED and a head case.
What I think is overrated is the notion that taking away the can-opener from McCabe had any impact whatsoever on his play.

1. He still does it sometimes.

2. Even when it was "allowed" (although technically it never was) he only did it once every two or three games. It's not like he used it on every single play.

3. It's not like it provides any great advantage. It's just a stupid stick move to catch guys off balance and knock them down.

4. If Harry Neale didn't start calling it the can-opener and pointing it out every time, no one would even know what it was or notice that he was doing it.

5. Losing his spot on the PP to Svehla and being paired with Lumme all year did far more to hinder McCabe's performance then the stupid can-opener ever did.