View Single Post
Old
02-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
You know what else is a joke? There were a lot more then six teams.

Its a falacy, the notion that there were only six teams. The reason the Rangers, Bruins, Canadiens, Maple Leafs, Red Wings, and Black Hawks are recognized and dubbed "The Original Six" is simply because they're the only surviving six franchises from the pre-expansion era in the 1970's.

Proof? When the Rangers won their first Cup in 1928, they defeated the Montreal Maroons.

More Proof? The New York Americans moved to Brooklyn in the 1940's, they were still in the league.

More proof?

Well, here is a good read:

http://m.google.com/gwt/x?q=NHL+team...hlhistory.html

A little research goes a long way.

There were a lot of teams that contended for the Stanley Cup.

And to take it further, through their first 20 years of existence, the Rangers not only made the playoffs, but finished among the top of the league.

The Stanley Cup has always been an elusive trophy and hard to win.

The Canadiens had an upper hand, because they retained the rights to every prospect in the Province of Quebec, if I recall correctly. That means every great player to come from Quebec instantly became a Montreal Canadien. There was no such things as free agency as we know it today. Mostly, teams were built from scouting their own talent and trades.

Anyway, the Rangers are not this franchise shrouded in shame and failure as some here would have others believe.

There is a long, rich history of success. Contenders from the 20's to the 40's. Then again in the 70's, late 80's, early 90's.

The only team that can claim success through their entire existence are the Canadiens, and I mentioned a big reason for it.
Well that makes me feel so much better....honestly. lol

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote