Old
02-10-2011, 09:06 PM
darko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Buchholz: 2.33 ERA and 1.20 WHIP
Lester: 3.25 ERA and 1.20 WHIP

Those guys are terrific. If Josh Beckett is healthy, and Jon Lackey has a normal Jon Lackey season, they'll have a great rotation. Matsuzaka is a wild card, a guy who could potentially be great or could just be a decent #5.

.261 BABIP suggests he was somewhat lucky last year. His xFIP is nearly 2 full runs higher (4.20) meaning those numbers will come back to earth. I expect ERA between 3.25 - 3.50 for Buchh.

Lester is crazy good. I'm a die hard Yanks fan but I'd take Lester over CC. In fact with Cliff Lee now residing in NL there is only 1 pitcher in AL I'd take over Lester. That happens to be that Hernandez fellow in Seattle.

Just like Yankees though Sox have question marks after their top-2. Their question marks are not as bad as Yankees' but they are still there. Beckett needs to stay healthy. Dice K (or Dice BB as some call him) cant keep batters off the bases. He's horrible. Lackey had his worst season since his 1st full season in majors. Guy is average at best and has been on steady decline since 2007. That contract is bad. Not AJ Burnett type bad but still pretty bad.

Also 2 other things: catcher and a lefty in the pen. Varitek is horrible defensively and Salty isn't much better. Opposing teams will have field days running the bases when Varitek is behind the plate. Some question Salty's game calling so that could be an issue too. His biggest asset is his offense. You need a dominant lefty out of the pen, especially in AL East. Rays have McGee and Howell. Yankees have Boone and also signed Feliciano. Red Sox have Hideki Okajima, he is no longer dominant though.

This should be a 3-horse race for the division title. Dont sleep on Rays, everyone but Carl Crawford is replacable on that team. Brignac replaces Bartlett, Dan Johnson should replace Pena's production and Soriano wont be missed. Jake McGee looks like the next dominant closer to me. I like him alot. Red Sox should be favorites based on their offseason but IMO this is a 3-horse race.