vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Sylvio Mantha

Position: defense
5'10, 178 lbs
Shoots: right

Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1960
NHL First Allstar Team (1929*)
NHL Second Allstar Team (1928*, 1930*, 1931, 1932)
* = speculative (but realistic), as there were no allstar teams prior to 1931
Captain of the Montreal Canadiens 1926-1937
Stanley Cup Champion (1924, 1930, 1931)
Defense scoring: 3,3,5,6,9,10

Quote:
"A defensive bulwark" - King Clancy
Quote:
"No, I wouldn't say so. **** is harder to get by. Shore is a rusher. But for tackling you when you come in and blocking you away from that net, **** is tougher. Not that Shore is easy, you know. No, sir. But fellows like Shore and Clancy catch the eye of the spectator when they buzz up and down the rink, while fellows like **** and Sylvio Mantha can do great defensive work without attracting half as much notice." - Frank Boucher on defensemen, when asked if Eddie Shore is the hardest man to get past
Quote:
“A tough, strong, and mobile defenseman, opposing forwards had no easy way to get around him.” – Canadiens.com
Quote:
He ranked among the best defensive defensemen in hockey... It was he who anchored the Morenzes, the Joliats, and the *********s as an ever-present defensive conscience.” – Ultimate Hockey
Quote:
“He was no wallflower, but he was certainly not the violent player that Cleghorn was... He established himself immediately as a superb player... He could rush the puck and hurry back to make defensive plays when necessary...” -- Players: The Ultimate A-Z Guide Of Everyone Who Has Ever Played In the NHL
Quote:
“He went on to enjoy a long successful career, establishing the standard of excellence for stay-at-home defensemen for generations to come.” – Canadiens.com
Quote:
“While his main charge involved preventing the opposition from scoring, he also found the twine with regularity.” – Canadiens.com
Quote:
"Mantha, one of the all time best defensive blue liners, was twice named to the Second All Star team." - Joel Pelletier
Quote:
"By this time (1931), Mantha was entrenched as one of the most revered defensive defensemen in the game." - Legends of Hockey
Quote:
“I remember one game with the Leafs we were playing the Canadiens and Sylvio Mantha was the key to their defense. XXXX was our coach for us then and he called me over to the bench. “Get that Mantha,” he told me. First chance I got, I caught him with a cross check and broke his jaw. - King Clancy
Quote:
“You know that Sylvio Mantha is a tough customer on that Montreal team. If we could just slow him down a step or two, we’d make it a lot easier on ourselves." - King Clancy
Quote:
"His offensive zone rushes aided the club’s transitional play, while his disciplined checking in the defensive zone rounded out his game." - Kings of the Ice

Last edited by arrbez: 02-11-2011 at 10:57 AM.
arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote