View Single Post
Old
02-12-2011, 05:21 AM
HabsByTheBay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
who cares what those idiots say

though it is amusing to wonder what Ray Bourque or Patrice Bergeron or Marc Savard would think of their insulting French Canadians . . .
Or the people of French Canadian descent in the area, which is a hell of a lot in Rhode Island and places like Lowell. My parents are from New England and I remember driving past a Catholic cemetery in Woonsocket, RI to go visit my uncle (a big B's fan). I'm telling you, cemeteries in deepest, rural Quebec didn't hold as many people with French names as this one did - possibly because they all emigrated to work in the mills like these souls did. Until recently towns like Woonsocket and Lowell had French language public TV and showed La soiree.

Like I said above, my parents are from New England and this is part of the reason my dad and I are Habs fans. It's not demeaning or insulting to say a large portion of the Bruins fanbase loves goon hockey and the team's played up for that over the years. I just can't stand that stuff personally and my dad doesn't like it either (as he says you play the game to put the puck in the net, not punch a guy). Add into it the casual bigotry towards French Canadians and it explains why I love the Red Sox and Celtics, but root for the Habs.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote