View Single Post
Old
02-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Whiskeypete

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
That's pretty much what I am saying.

Getting picks is a good thing, especially for players that we are likely to lose to free agency anyways and having the kind of talented pipeline that we do is a great thing and can only be improved by adding to it as often as possible.

Voynov is a legitmate #1/3 potential dman.
Deslauriers is as good in my opinion but is also a better skater and plays angry
Muzzin is a #4/6 pmd dman who has shown that he is capable of being a solid nhl dman with a little time and grease.

Hickey is far from a bust in my opinion and if I had to place a bet about where I think he will end up I would say that he will make his way to being a second pairing talented pmd within the next two years.

Tuebert is a grey area for me, at times I can see where he is slowly progressing his way into becoming a tough stay at home monster of a third pairing guy and at other times he looks like he is easily confused. Too tough to call but he is still valued by other GM's and as such holds a certain amount of value.

Then we have Forbort who is 6'6 heavy and tough but his greatest attribute is that he plays smart hockey and for a kid who is still learning and developing his game that is one of the most important things that there is. I like him allot and will be shocked if he doesn't eventually become a top pairing guy somewhere in the league though I do think he is at least 3 or 4 years away from doing so.

We have JB and Jonsey behind Quick in the nets and look really really good there.

We have Linden Vey who all of us should make the time to watch at least one of his games if you haven't already. He is nails and going to be a stud NHL winger and I think within the next 2/3 years. He plays like he has one last chance to make it every shift, if he keeps it up he is going to be a long time fan favorite.

Tyler Toffoli is the real deal but how his game will translate into the NHL has me wondering. He will be an offencive threat and will in my opinion be a great NHL'er, its just will he develop soon enough to fill our needs or will he take a bit longer and be better suited as trade bait down the road, I don't know yet but I love his game and can't see any fail on him.

Weal has the skill to make it at any level he wants, his drive is the only thing that I can see holding him back if there is anything at all that would do so. He isn't big but he does play a smart game and I could see him as a 20/20 2nd/3rd liner with a little more upside.

Kitsyn is a mean tough old school Russian who either doesn't understand what the word quit means or simply refuses to recognize it. He is a 50/50 guy in my opinion, he will either make it and be very good or fail to do so and bolt back to a long KHL career, tough to say. I would have no problem putting him in Manchester and then after a season up with the Kings to see what he can do.

Kozun will make his mark in the NHL rather it is as a King or not who knows.

Moller will play more games in the NHL but same thing goes as it does with Kozun.

The list goes on.

My point is that I see us as having a very deep and talented pool of kids that we can plug into our line up and as early as next year will be a much younger and better team as a result of it.

Schenn should and will be a productive rookie for us and is clearly showing us why it was a good thing that he got his last year of junior eligibility out of the way, rushing him would have been a mistake and now he has more than proven to himself and everyone else that he should be an exceptional player in the NHL and considered one of the best young players around.

With another solid draft this coming year (not as deep as some but nowhere near as bad as 04 or 06 depending on how you rate drafts) we could be even closer to set.

I know I left allot of our talented kids off the list but to prove a point, we are deep and very solid and adding to the pool is only going to be a great thing.

Now will we move any of them and or one or two of our young roster players to get a very talented skill guy for our top 3? Its possible but I don't know how or when or if it will happen.
bingo.....

LA is close, well closer than it was a few years ago. what they aren't is a legitimate SC contender at this point. it was nice seeing pre-season posts saying so, but imo i think that jacked with quite a few minds in the organization.

i also think it set overly high levels of expectations for the fans that LA is in the upper echelon of the league. as a result with the struggles and up's and down's of this season, the fans are over reacting and demanding DL pull the trigger on deals to get the team up the standings, deep into the playoffs and playing for the cup. sorry folks but it isnt going to happen this season, or next.

i knew this season would be rocky and next year as well. as the team progresses in maturation, skill and roster times will be tough for them and for us fans. it's part of the process of taking a franchise that for DECADES has been reliant on rentals, old vets and a patchwork roster; then transforming it into a young, talented, disciplined organization looking to compete every year.

imo for DL to make a trade or two at this point that would strip a player(s) or prospect(s) that everyone knows is key to the long-term success is just foolhardy at this point. my predicition is that LA is and will be geared and ready to move into the upper echelon in 2-3 years.

sorry guys but that's the truth, DL has to let this first 'core' of players mature and then see if they can lead. once the like of Smyth, Zus, Willie, etc move on the organization has to see what it has. the core of DB, Kopi, DD, JJ, etc will be expected to serve in those vet roles bringing the next 'core' along. it's at this point when LA essentially has two groups of core players coming together they will be ready or not to go for the cup.

to expect anything more than a first round playoff win now is to much imo, because they just don't have the experience and depth to go any further. to make some moves for the sake of pushing past that and losing in the 2nd or 3rd round doesn't make sense. all they gain is a higher draft pick and a handful more of playoff games under their belt.