Old
02-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
A pretty hard one about Mickey MacKay:

Quote:
Mickey MacKay May Return to Oldtime Form - October 31, 1924

How far, if at all, has Mickey MacKay slipped since that fateful night in Seattle when xxxxxx laid MacKay's jaw open with a blow from his stick and brought on himself a perpetual banishment from the Pacific Coast Hockey League.

Never over robust, spectacular in style and always able to uncork a lightning flash of speed in the pinch, MacKay has been, in the eyes of the critics, self-elevated to that position by virtue of repeated seasons at the Arena, an in-and-outer. One night he looks like the star of old, the next he couldn't be seen through the world's largest telescope. Changes in league personnel, the flooding of the hockey market with star players and the general expected revolution in hockey practice now that Vancouver is merged with the Western Canada Hockey League, induced MacKay to do some thinking recently.

When he signed yesterday for another year with the club he has served so long, Mickey expressed a determination to get into first class shape ere the season opened and to stay that way. Perhaps it will be news to many of the close pursuers of the hockey stars to know that last year, in the opening game, MacKay stopped a hard driven shot with his good right thigh. By the time he was in the dressing room it was necessary to cut away his hockey clothes, so badly swollen was the injury. MacKay was not himself again until toward the end of the season. He was used only on the pinch till the series in the east and the final playoff, when he went with much of his old-time speed and abandon.

"I wasn't right last year," Mickey said recently, "and I know it. I couldn't seem to get going. This year I'm starting out early, taking the game seriously and will make an honest endeavor to deliver everything I possess in every game."

If Mickey carries out his preseason promises it may result in a comparative in-and-outer returning with a bang to stardom. MacKay joined Vancouver in 1915, coming here from Grand Forks, where he set the sticks ablaze with his form. MacKay leaped right into the forefront in hockey and for several years was among the league's leading scorers.

Last edited by Sturminator: 02-13-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote