Thread: Puck Passers.
View Single Post
Old
10-10-2003, 03:44 PM
Big T

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
It's my favourite part of the game. Passing the puck and hitting the man in full flight looks easy when it's done well, and is a devastating weapon. The MA Bergeron pass to Dvorak last night had all the impact of a bullet to the temple, and the Oilers have more good puck passers than they've had in years.

Up front, Ryan Smyth is now well above average, Hemsky is touched by God and York is terrific. That's why I love the York-Chimera-Hemsky line, it's a combination of speed and finesse that should prove deadly. They also have Dvorak, and that 4th line looked dazzling last night.

On defense, Bergeron can give the backline an entirely different look. His suicide passes will just have to be part of the package, that's all. Brewer has the skill, but has to speed up the process. If they could get another guy back there capable of the head man pass, it could be dynamite.

I know it was San Jose and it'll be a completely different battle on Saturday night and Vancouver.

However, there were a dozen top drawer passes last night. Craig MacTavish is exactly right when he says the play doesn't die on their sticks.

I agree that Berberon's pass to Dvo was totally risky, but if you looked at some of his other outlet passes (the ones that didn't make your heart stop) it was very clear how much people like him will help with offense.

MAB will do a good/very good job on the PP and will not be nearly the defensive liability many think. But his biggest attribute is those outlet passes right on the tape to a forward at speed in the neutral zone. Lets hope they all aren't quite as risky as that one though.