View Single Post
Old
02-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Hockey Crazy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonx View Post
Can you tell me more about the details and specifics about this program? Looks really good but it's also a bit of a commute. I live in Scarborough (probably one of the reasons why I never got to play ). What's the structure like and how much ice time/instruction do we get?

Seems like I'm going to have to cough up the money to invest in a whole set of equipment.
It does get expensive, but it's worth every penny... I'm absolutely addicted to playing and getting better now.

The program is $550, but it's not a bad deal for what you get. I paid $200 for my skates, and another $700 more for equipment when all was said and done. You can definitely do it cheaper though... just don't cheap out on skates.

It's about a 20 min walk from Yorkdale station. You can do it if you have a roller bag or one of those back packs. The walk wont be too bad in the summer, although I like that I started in the winter because I've made use of the outdoor rinks a lot. Still... my team usually chips in for ice to practice on each week.

In the winter program, there are 17 weeks and a playoff tournament. There are 4 teams, and 2 hit the ice at a time for an hour each on Sundays. The first 10 weeks are instructional. You start with some skating drills, then move to stick-handling, passing, shooting etc. By week 7 or 8, they start including scrimmages in the lessons and then the games start. The games are three 10 minute periods, and they keep your stats and everything! My team has 11 skaters and a goalie, so you get a good amount of ice (only 2 lines per team). Everyone plays in the tournament in the end and you end up playing against the Brampton program's teams.

If you can already skate well you'll be one of the better players on your team...

Hockey Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote