View Single Post
Old
02-14-2011, 09:30 AM
BM67

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
It is what it is. He seems to have gotten physically pretty beat up throughout his career. I think the physical punishment such a small star player must have taken likely explains MacKay's very up and down scoring finishes during his prime, and the "in-and-outer" characterization. MacKay also turned in some pretty lackluster playoff performances in Vancouver (especially when he was the team's offensive star), and was specifically criticized for it. But I've also got tons of quotes about MacKay's defensive excellence (whereas about Taylor I have found literally nothing) and speed. Yes, the Millionaires seem to have tried using MacKay in the Frank Nighbor role when they played 6 man hockey, though in the 7 man Western game he seems to have been more offense-minded.

We'll revisit MacKay later. He plays a pretty big role in some of the research I'm pulling together.
It just seems strange in context with what he did that season.

He was tied for the PCHA goal scoring title, and finished 3rd overall in points. He was also the top scorer for the PCHA in inter-league matches aginst the WCHL. His play against the other PCHA teams seems to be his "outer" portion.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=TxFkAAAAIBAJ&sjid=93oNAAAAIBAJ&pg=43 69,1095048&dq=mickey+mackay&hl=en

BM67 is online now   Reply With Quote