View Single Post
Old
02-15-2011, 11:55 AM
redbull
respect, earned.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickOlax View Post
He's a very good skater especially considering his size. He's almost like a Bouwmeester type, not as fast as him but not far away. In the other hand, Ellerby is a lot more physical than JBo. He definetely has top 4 potential.

Where would I rank him?

In terms of pure potential, a little behind De Haan and Hamonic I guess, though not much. Don't know much about MacDonalds potential but he seems pretty good too. All in all you could say that Ellerby's up there in the mix. He's a player who could end up being a good top 4 Bouwmeester-like defenseman with a physical edge or at worst a big and mobile shutdown defenseman IMO.

It may not be a surprise but I'm a Panther fan and I like Ellerby a lot and I'm really hoping to see Ellerby as a part of our D-core in the coming years. I'd probably be alright if we'd move him for a young forward like Bailey but otherwise I'd really like us to keep him.

-L-
very good post, thanks for the insights on Ellerby, I didn't know much about him.

That said, under the circumstances I'm inclined to keep Bailey if I'm the NYI. Bailey hasn't had a breakout season yet but he has shown flashes of it. He was a dynamic scoring junior and would be perceived far differently if he were able to play a year of junior and a year in the AHL before he got a shot in the NHL - to say nothing of the fact he SHOULD BE surrounded with actual NHL players.

Bailey played only 11 games in the AHL this year, his only stint of his career, and had 17pts. That pace was probably among the highest in the AHL of any player. He has offensive ability, just has been mis-managed at the NHL level in my opinion.

I think he's a keeper and I wouldn't deal him at all. He's the exact type of player Burke should try and get for Kessel's centre. I think Bailey would absolutely kill in Toronto.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote