View Single Post
Old
02-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

vCash: 500
go to as many free skates as possible...

outdoor ice as much as possible, but avoid playing around with the puck. get used to bending your knees (NOT YOUR UPPER body) pushing into the ice, and worry about the power of each stride, rather than the quickness and succession of each stride... power beats quickness 9.9 times out of ten.

first I'd say work on laps around the rink with your stick dangling out in front of you. work up to putting a puck on that stick.

stopping on two feet first... skate fast.. glide on two feet .. bend your kneees even more.. push out each skate (your probably dominant with one foot... you you will need to work on your less dominant foot pushing out the same. / \ < ----- skates should essentially be like this when your making a two foot stop... and make sure when your gliding before the stop that your feet are fairly close together, otherwise, it makes a two foot stop very ineffective if your foot are already apart.

work on backwards walking, and eventually skating... avoid the making c's method of backward skating, and be sure that skating backwards = backwards, and not sideways.... again where your dominant foot can come into account. keep your knees bent, upper body strong, and toes pointed together as much as you can feel comfortable with, and you should be properly backwards skating in no time.

obviously forwards crosscuts FIRST, before you worry about backwards crosscuts. and in all likelihood, you're probably BARELY ready to do forward crosscuts... don't make the jump to crosscuts until your really comfortable on your skates, and your sure you're practicing them using proper technique, or you might practice the exact wrong way to do it.

if you're okay with crosscuts though... work on some russian stroking. essentially: step towards center ice, cross cut, step-- step towards the boards, crosscut, step and repeat until your at the end of the rink, where you do crosscuts around the ends of the rink. you can do this same thing backwards, and if you're using good technique, you will be amazed at the speed you can generate in those three steps each way... kinda like a snake going around the rink.

finally, go for a wood stick. They are harder for other players to lift off the ice if you put a fair amount of weight on it, coupled with the simply fact that they are heavier... and also for the most part more durable that composite sticks... + wayyyy cheaper... and I like them better for stick-handling... almost get a better feel for the puck on your blade.

In a perfect world, Titan would still make wood sticks, and the huge selection of wood sticks present in the 80's and 90's would still be similar today, and wood sticks wouldn't look so freaking goofy. I swear companies make them look as undesirable as possible now a days in order for people to want more expensive sticks. Sherwood is the only company that has kept the classic style... but boy would I be happy to own the same type of Titan sticks I grew up watching Selanne and others play with.

if you're in Canada, Sportcheck pretty much has a permanent special... buy one wood stick get second half off... which for a myself will probably last the rest of my life.. since I've only broken the blade off a stick once in my whole time playing ice hockey.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote