Setoguchi's shot: great.

Marleau being left alone: inexcusable.

Line choices: horrible.

Lines should be

SK-Goc-Erat
Wilson-Legwand-Hornqvist
Dumont-Fisher-Svatos
Spaling-Smithson-Ward

Sully has no wheels anymore and is more of a liability. Goc's and Leggy's lines were doing fine together before Sully came back. Smithson's line serves the purpose of a 4th line and if and when Tootoo is back, sit Ward and call it a day. Having Ward out there instead of Svatos is silly to me. When you play a team like SJ you need your best 9 guys on the ice and with the guys we iced last night, I'm not sure Ward is in the top 9. If it comes down to a choice between Sully and Dumont I'll take Dumont. He at least has some size and some skills left. Sully is done. Love him but he's done.

And as far as the SOB/Sulzer comments: 1) SOB is a "veteran" defenseman but he's a third pairing guy. I want a veteran second pairing guy that is responsible out there, ala Brad Stuart. 2) Even if Marleau was coming on after a change, one of them has to realize this and be prepared for the guy coming on to the ice. It's not like they were a step away, they were easily a blue line to red line distance away and that is inexcusable. I don't want to see Sulzer, Franson or SOB out there 4 on 4 ever again. That is where a reliable second pairing veteran comes in to play.
Ward isn't going to sit. Svatos has a history but he hasn't done it here. Ward's role fits better than Tootoo. Sully is the one who needs to sit. But there is log jam right now. Someone has to go ...Sully has to sit unfortunately he was a very good player before he is not now. We do need another D and I agree we can't over expose our 4th line D. We'll see

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote