View Single Post
Old
02-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
we're starting to see the emergence of carter-giroux-jvr as the "other" scoring line, so that gives us two solid scoring lines that can produce on a nightly basis. our fourth line is a crapshoot, but it's generally the same 4 guys in powe-betts-carcillo/shelley. it's becoming clear that lavi wants the third line, centered by richards, to be more of a shut-down line. having a line like this, with the addition of versteeg and along with nodl, that can be defensively minded and still score some goals is extremely beneficial. zherdev doesn't really belong in that regard. it would be foolish not to hold onto zherdev come playoff time incase something goes wrong with our top two lines, but it also doesn't really make any sense to throw him on richards' wing and thrusting him into a defensive role he clearly doesn't excel in. the times in which he has been most successful this season have been playing on a line with any combination of jvr, carter and giroux. otherwise he's just looked lost. and most importantly, IIRC, the flyers have only lost 1 game with zherdev out of the lineup (the loss to the kings last weekend), so i wouldn't be too worried about seeing him on the list of scratches. i trust lavi.
Yes, and this explains Zherdev as per Meltzer:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=33765

Finally, I am not surprised that even with Leino out, Nikolay Zherdev remained a healthy scratch. Peter Laviolette had been sending him a message about his increasingly lackadaisical play by cutting his ice time steadily over several games. Rather than heeding the warning, Zherdev continued to dog it. When he took a seat for the rest of the Carolina game after a shift in which his lack of hustle was readily apparent (on one of his final shifts of the game, Zherdev simply stood and watched rather than pursuing a loose puck along the boards), it was pretty clear that he'd gotten himself deep in the doghouse again.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote