View Single Post
Old
02-19-2011, 02:41 AM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
Johnson/Pietrangelo are both similar players but EJ is more physical. EJ has had a down year but he'll rebound fine. I think eventually St. Louis will regret parting with him because while Shattenkirk is a very good prospect, the pure PMD isn't all that hard to obtain if you're willing to go after it. Siding with Pietrangelo after 3 quarters of a good rookie season is a leap, especially since they're not a contender now and probably won't be for at least a few seasons barring Boyes returning to a 30-40 goal scorer and Oshie finally putting it all together. Even with that, I don't see their defense doing much at all unless Halak can be last year's playoff version for 80+ games a year. With that, I think we'll see the Blues make another move and try to trade one of their forwards for another d-man. They have a couple high end forward prospects in Tarasenko and Schwartz and the former should be ready to make the jump next year and contribute. Moving a guy like Boyes or McDonald makes the most sense.

From the Colorado perspective, Liles/Shattenkirk were redundant as well. Colorado also has a few PMD in the pipeline as well but they don't have, whether in the system or on the team, anyone that is as good as EJ or in the mold of a true #1 caliber guy. Now they do. Losing a guy of Stewart's caliber hurts them though, especially on the toughness end amongst their high end forwards. McClement is a decent and cheap addition but probably not a long term fixture for them by any means. Just like St. Louis, they're not ready to contend yet either though so making moves to fill given holes makes sense.

I think it's a good deal for both teams. I think St. Louis will regret losing EJ in time but I also think Colorado will regret moving Stewart. Colorado could afford to lose Shattenkirk and barring him turning into a Rafalski/Boyle, he's replaceable. He's had a pretty good rookie year but we'll see if it's sustainable. Just see the gawking over Michael Del Zotto last year. Should be fun to watch this trade play out over the years.